A few months ago, I got into a discussion with my colleagues about rewriting Ruby methods in Ruby. We each implemented our own versions of Array#flatten. After coming up with what we thought were performant solutions, we put them to the test against Ruby's implementation. We were surprised to find that the implementation I created was faster than Ruby's! After that, I started thinking about different ways to make Ruby code run faster. As an experiment, I started writing my own Ruby methods in Ruby and benchmarked them against Ruby's versions. Complete with live coding, I would like to share my experience and discoveries in optimizing my own Ruby method implementations and explore what made them faster.